Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Intrior dash lights

I have a simple question. Are the instrument panel lights illuminated when running without the headlights on? The lighting control is located on the left of the steering wheel, a round knob, on my 2002 Z06. Also, on the panel in front of the shift lever, is the outside air temperature adjusted with the same control knob? Thanks, JIM

Submitted by: Jim Kobe

ReplyPosted By
Hello. I bought a new 2000 C5 in late 1999. I kept it until 2023 when I bought a 70th anniversary C8. When I did that, I gave my C5 to my brother in law. I also gave him all of the paperwork, maintenance documentation, etc., otherwise I would look up the exact problem / solution. I recall after owning the car for about 5 or 6 years, the radio display (interior and exterior temps and maybe other information) became so dim that I could not see it during the day. My model had a cassette player over top of the radio with a CD player in the trunk, so don't know if this matches yours or not. In any event, I took it to the dealer and they informed me that there was something in the car's main computer that wasn't working properly and that this component (board?) needed to be replaced. I authorized the work and took in the car. I seem to remember the part took a few days to arrive and then another few days to install. In addition, it was an expensive ordeal ($400?). However, whatever they replaced, it cured the problem and I never had any issues like this the rest of the time I owned the car. Hope this helps. Bill Cox William Cox on 3/26/2024 2:32:04 PM
I have a 2001 Coupe. In my car, the Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning (HVAC) Control Module electronic display lighting comes on to medium brightness when the key is turned to the 'On' position (not the 'Accessory' position), day or night. This medium brightness level is preset and is not adjustable by the instrument panel dimming knob. We could refer to this as 'day mode'. This functionality is similar to the radio electronic display lighting. When the key is turned to the 'On' position (not the 'Accessory' position) AND the exterior parking lights are turned on (as they would normally be at night), the HVAC Control Module electronic display lighting is in 'night mode' and is controllable by the instrument panel dimming knob. This functionality is similar to the radio electronic display lighting. Some years back, my HVAC Control Module electronic display lighting began to grow dimmer and dimmer - such that it is no longer readable during bright daylight. I have not yet gotten around to replacing the module. To maximize the brightness and visibility, I waited until night, turned the key to the 'on' position, turned the exterior parking lights on, and then turned the instrument dimming knob to full bright. This is the brightest level that my HVAC Control Module electronic display lighting will achieve, and it is quite readable. I then set my desired temperature into Auto mode, and then programmed those settings into my key fob. When I enter the vehicle and drive away, the automatic thermostat does a nice job of maintaining my desired settings. After awhile, I became accustomed to intuitively rotating the knob a few 'clicks' if I wished to adjust the thermostat during the day. I don't really miss the Outside Air Temperature display, as here in Phoenix AZ that value is typically quite depressing. My radio electronic display lighting does not suffer any readability issues. According to the shop manual, the replacement of the HVAC Control Module doesn't appear to me to be very difficult; I just haven't bothered. I see them advertised for around a hundred dollars. Good luck! Brian B on 3/24/2024 10:43:12 AM
That is not what I experience. The instrument (dash) !lights will only illuminate with the parking lights or headlights turned on. The a/c or outside temperature should illuminate as soon as you start the car. It will read the outside temperature until you engage the temperature to either a/c or heat. This is with automatic temperature control. Vette man on 3/22/2024 1:12:39 PM
I took this to my dealer and after paying a $195 diagnostic fee, no luck figuring this out. I am talking about the panel on the console that shows the current temp and the A/c temp. It is not illuminating the readings so I can't tell what the temp is. Am I wrong in paying heed to the dealer's advice that it will only iluminate when the headlights are on? Jim Kobe on 6/30/2023 7:23:55 AM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread