Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Primary Fan and engine cooling

I have a 1990 Corvette 5.7 L-98 with auto. It has 25,000 miles. It has a new water pump, thermostat and sensors for the temp gauge. The primary fan is not working. The A/C fan is. If I drive in traffic I have to turn on the A/C. That fan keeps the temperature gauge out of the "danger zone". Of course without the primary fan working it still runs a bit hot. What am I missing here? I have been told it is not the "main black box" I need to get the primary fan operational. I have been advised to hot wire the primary fan to the ignition. That sounds a bit chancy, but what the hell, nothing else is working! Would appreciate help from an NCOA fellow member. Phil.....email philkiraly@aol.com Thanks

Submitted by: Philip Kiraly

ReplyPosted By
What you need to find out is it the fan or possibly the wiring. The fan is controlled by a relay. Find the relay with key on engine off jump terminals 30 and 87. If the fan comes on, fan and wiring at that point are good. The PCM controls the fan operation when the temp. reaches about 220-230 degrees. Michael Carosella on 4/29/2021 10:23:10 AM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread