Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Replace a Heater Core

Has anyone replaced a heater core in a 1994 Corvette Conv .? I am a handy guy but don't know if I want to attempt this job with the proper shop manuals. I can get the parts online or do you think it is a job for the dealer or can someone recommend someone in the Montgomery County, PA area. Thank you for your assistance.

Submitted by: Anonymous

ReplyPosted By
tom, i had heater core replaced in an 89, most local garages/shops didn't really want to do it because of the time involved. i had it done by dealer in harrisburg, pa. they did an excellent job but the cost was etremely high and most of it was for the labor itself. it is a tedious task. bobctm3 on 1/10/2013 4:38:30 PM
Remove the passenger seat first.Get a shop manual.It will take about four hours total Henry Callahan on 1/10/2013 4:32:36 PM
Hi Anonymous. Yes, I replaced my heater core, but it was in my '90 coupe. First off, it is a bear of a job. But not impossible. And, much, much cheaper than the service dept or local repair shop! And much much better a finished product (they don't always replace all the screws and tend to take short curt?s), resulting in rattles and broken access side panels and glove box parts. It?s best done with the FSM, though. I had to remove my dash, drop the steering, remove the bolster, and work upside-down most of the time to get at the wiring harnesses, and connectors and finally the duct?s and vent systems to get at the core itself. Here is the main thing to remember..Nobody will be able to put it all back together as well as you. The core itself cost around 50dollars, but the cost is in the labor and patience .I had boxes of screws all over. I don't recommend this as a Sat afternoon project. If I can help or be of assistance let me know. Tom. Tom Sawitsky on 1/10/2013 4:05:09 PM
I don't know about a 94 but I have replaced mine in an 85 a few years ago. Other than being messy and sticky I do not recall it being all that hard. In mine getting up under tha dash was the hardest part. The 85 was my daily driver so I had to do it quickly. Go for it! Leslie Wise on 1/10/2013 3:55:29 PM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread