Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Condensation inside headlamp modular

After a heavy rain I noticed a lot of vapor condensation inside the right headlamp Modular. I asked the dealer and they told me to replace it for $1100. Any suggestions.

Submitted by: Charlie Mauch

ReplyPosted By
Answer: Some of the modules have a vent at the bottom or the side, make sure there is no debris in that area. Another issue that I have found is that some of the bulbs are not fully seated and or the seal (some lamp assy's) becomes distorted. Inspect the module for any hairline cracks as well. If none are found, remove the bulb and let the condensate dry in the sun. You can use a heat gun on very low setting (this could take time) and point it near the bulb opening, just make sure its on low, too high and you distort the housing. Mike Anonymous on 1/10/2013 2:52:09 PM
IF YOU CAN FIND A REPAIR SHOP W/ A SMOKER, THEY CAN TEST THE SEALS W/O REMOVING THE HEAD LIGHT. OTHER WISE-REMOVE THE HEAD LIGHT AND WITH AN EXHALE FROM A CIGARETTE, JUST BLOW INTO THE OPENING WHERE THE BLUB INSERTS. USE SILICONE TO REPAIR. IF NO LEAK EXIST THEN THAT SUGGEST THE GASKET AROUND THE BULB IS THE ISSUE. A SMOKER IS GENERALLY QUITE EXPENSIVE AND IS USED TO DETECT LEAKS FOR ALL TYPES OF GASKETS. SNAP ON CARRIES THIS TOOL. CONTACTING THE REP. IN YOUR AREA WOULD BE MY FIRST STEP TO LOCATE A SHOP CARING THIS TOOL. THE NATIONAL # For SNAP-ON IS 1-800-762-7662. HOPE THIS HELPS Anonymous on 1/10/2013 2:51:39 PM
That is a very good question. This question was asked back in 2004, on our visit to the plant, Aquia Creek Corvette Club. The response from the GM tour guide was "there should be no problem, it is a sealed unit". That is funny now, here is a problem that was for seen in 09/2004. Anonymous on 1/10/2013 2:48:19 PM
There are places that just sell the lens from $155. on ebay to about $399 at ecklers parts. I dont know how hard it wopuld be to replace yourself. You can google it to find out more John Horn on 1/7/2013 3:07:49 PM
I;ve had same problem with my Chevy Colorado - I took out the light socket and setup a hairdryer to cook out the mositure - not sure this would work with your vette Thomas Moulton on 1/7/2013 11:25:01 AM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread