Return to ForumsReply to Thread
1994 Electrical Short

I need help in finding an electrical short. When I hit a large bump in the road, the interior lights will flicker and the door locks will lock and then unlock. Where would I start to look for this kind of short?

Submitted by: Randy Muller

ReplyPosted By
I would first look at harnesses that are too taut..Sometimes harnesses get re routed and become to tight in areas causing undue strain on connectors or harness wiring. Then I would check the grounds near the frame....I don't think its a cable near the battery, cuz you would have other issues. I then would listen for relays clicking or not energizing. Mike Posted by Administrator on 7/23/2012 1:58:30 PM
The 1994 short is most likely a door switch problem. There is a door pin switch at the rear of each door near the hatch release switch. The switches have an additional pin that sets the depth adjustment, over time the pin looses grip and the switch adjustment changes. When the switches are not fully depressed the interior lights can come on and off as the door moves around during driving. The door locks would cycle because the CCM (Central Control Module) sees the door opened and closed, then the bouncing key fob inputs the lock signal. The switches may seem easy to change because they have two visible 7MM screws holding them in place. For whatever reason the switches have a retainer plate that is not held in place in the door. When the screws are removed the plate does not fall out but you can not reinstall the screws without holding onto the plate. The door panel must be removed to access the plate. Posted by Administrator on 7/23/2012 1:47:12 PM
I would think that its body flex and the door jam switches are making and braking. i would unhook both switches and see if it stops,if it stops then one of your doors or body is flexing. Robert Benedetto on 6/20/2012 10:06:31 PM
It's not a short or you would have blown fuses. I'd check the wiring where it passes through the door to the body of the car. It will be in the hinge area. I had a similar problem with my power window. It would work intermittently. Sure enough, the wire had been flexed enough through normal opening of the door, and was broken. Rather than splicing the wire, I replaced it. Problem solved. Good luck with your trouble shooting. Jerry Rebman on 6/20/2012 7:06:25 PM
This does not sound like a short circuit but a bad or poor connection at a junction of positive voltage or at a ground connector some where from engine to body to frame. remember the bodies are plastic so the electrical system relies on different junction blocks all around the car frame and engine. RickyZ on 6/20/2012 1:29:44 PM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread