Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Any ideas how to reduce brake dust on 2011 Grand Sport?

I realize the brakes on the GS are performance and shed a lot of dust, but does anyone have any ideas on how to reduce the amount of brake dust. My chrome wheels take a beating!

Submitted by: Karl Grill

ReplyPosted By
I recently purchased a 2013 Grand Sport, and fortunately or unfortunately, my brake calipers were screwed up with a lousy coating that looked like crap. I tried to resolve the issue with GM, but got blown off. In an attempt to mask the crappy look of the calipers, I purchased caliper covers from Corvette Central. The caliper covers come in various colors, but I chose the silver. Part number 196133, for $229.00 for the set. When I put them on (and it was so easy a child could do it) not only did they look great, but it virtualy eliminated brake dust. It said in the advertisement that it would, but I didn't believe it. After driving for weeks, the dust is very minimal. Let's face it, you can't eliminate it all unless you put on a solid steel wheel. I would strongly recommend the caliper covers sold by Corvette Central. They not only made the car look great, but they eliminated brake dust issues for me. Dwight McDonald on 1/7/2013 4:03:33 PM
Go to a Ceramic or semi ceramic pad. Mike Posted by Administrator on 6/20/2012 1:09:55 PM
On my 88-I have inner brake shields-made out of plastic-the company I brought them from is no longer in business, but I'm sure Mid-America will have something Posted by Administrator on 6/20/2012 1:07:01 PM
Just change the brake pads. Tire rack has some great prices and can recommend the right ones if you call their 1-800 number listed in most car magazines. Posted by Administrator on 6/20/2012 12:52:48 PM
Try ADO Ceramic Brake Pads from NAPA. Vette man on 6/15/2012 5:58:44 PM
Go to a Ceramic or semi ceramic pad. Mike Posted by Administrator on 6/14/2012 8:22:20 AM
The only thing I know that would stop the dust is Ceramic brake pads. Don't know how or if they would affect the performance of the brakes. Worked fine on my GXP Bonneville. Posted by Administrator on 6/14/2012 8:21:50 AM
I had the same problem on my 2007 Z06. I changed to Hawk brand ceramic pads and the dust problem is essentially gone. The ceramic pads generate far less dust that the OEM pads and the dust itself is light grey and nearly invisible. A further benefit is the complete elimination of brake squeal that occurred with theOEM pads. Charles Putnik on 6/13/2012 2:57:32 PM
There's a few things to remember about brake dust and dust shields. First you may want to try a ceramic or carbon fiber brake pad. They have lower dust and hold up under heat better than a semi metallic or organic pad. If you already use a carbon or ceramic pad, that's probably the lowest dust you'll get. If you use an interior shield, remember they change the air flow around your wheel. If you have colored calipers for show, you won't be able to see them anymore. The reduced air flow in and thru your wheel means the brakes will run hotter. Not usually a big deal unless you do a lot of traffic stop and go driving which uses a lot of brake, but there is less air cooling, so just things to consider. Richard Knudsen on 6/13/2012 2:04:13 PM
Karl, I used to have chome reverse rims on my 65 Pontiac Lemans HO. same problem. They make a slip on aluminum flat round disc plate, about 12" in dia., and about .0625 thick or so, that fits over the wheel studs and behind your your rims when installed! this will shield 99% of the dust on the wheels! I'm Not sure who has them now but they worked great for me! Check with speed shops or car specialty places. Tom Barth Thomas Barth on 6/13/2012 1:07:54 PM
HI... Both my husband and I purchased Brake Dust Shields for both our vettes & they work wonderful.... If my memory serves me correctly it was either Ecklers or Mid America where we bought them... Good Luck... Laura Laura on 6/13/2012 11:44:03 AM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread