Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Heat insulation for '67 Corvette 427/400 side pipes, etc.

I have just wrapped my side pipes in "header wrap" and it has been very effective so far. Does anybody know if this can cause any longterm problems due to keeping the heat in or anything else? I am also thinking of using some type of "padding" under the carpeting and under the console...any suggestions? Thanks a lot!! Randy

Submitted by: Randy

ReplyPosted By
I also have been using header wrap, but not on my Corvette. I also own an 85 Fiero which is turbocharged, so heat is a big problem. The stock exhaust manifolds are SS and I had them thermal coated with a 2000 deg-F black coating from Exotic Coatings. Jet Hot offers a similar coating. The thermal coatings help, but do not control heat anywhere near as well as header wrap. So I also wrapped the SS manifolds, SS y-pipe to the turbo, and SS turbo exit pipe with header wrap. This not only controls underhood heat much better, it helps turbo efficiency. I have been told that, over time, the header wrap will cause the headers to fail. That is, they will crack and rust through from thermal cycling. I've been using thermal wrap for almost 20 years and have had no issues. I just re-wrapped the Fiero exhaust manifolds with Thermo Tech Copper exhaust wrap for even more thermal insulation. If your headers are common steel with no thermal coat, there is a good chance that thermal cycling could cause them to fail down the road depending on how much you drive your vehicle. If your headers are SS and thermal coated, my experience says that they will last a very, very long time. The control of heat is well worth the effort. On early Corvettes (63-82), wrapping the pipes from the exhaust manifolds back to the trans crossmember will make a big difference in heat transfer to the floor. If you wrap your headers, don't stop there. Wrap your pipes all the way back to the crosmember. Hope this helps. D on 8/9/2011 9:27:50 AM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread