Return to ForumsReply to Thread
94 engine "surging"

94 all-stock LT-1 auto, 31k, engine just began "surging" continuously when stopped at lite. Outside temp in lo 90s, a/c on so eng temp about 230, where it usually runs in city traffic during warm weather with both fans running. Best description is that engine idle seems to be intermittently jumping up and down while waiting out the red lite, causing the engine to surge against the brakes. Pop the trans into neutral and engine settles down to calm, steady, normal idle. So the surging is only under the load experienced when stopped for lite with trans in drive. No other symptoms, e.g., when accelerating or at highway speeds. First thought was Optispark but nothing I've found regarding a failing Optispark matches these symptoms. Ring a bell with anyone? Thanks!

Submitted by: Anonymous

ReplyPosted By
94 engine "surging" Just saw this problem you were having in July. I had the same problem with my 94 all stock. But, mine had 73,000 plus miles on the original plugs and wires. Pop the hood at night with engine running and spray the spark plug wires with water. If they light up like a Christmas tree invest in new wires and poss. plugs. I did this and the surging problem was resolved. Also read the internet for installing the wires without removing the water pump. There is a guy out there that has detailed wiring instructions. Mine was three hours of labor for wires and plugs. Best of luck. Anthony Altimari on 2/9/2012 3:55:15 PM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread