Return to ForumsReply to Thread
wet floor

My 96 gets a water build up on the passengers side floor when it rains or I wash it. I know there is a drain but I can't find it. Any help?

Submitted by: Mike Bys

ReplyPosted By
I had a 1994 C4 that had a major issue with water leaks that would fill the foot wells and soak the carpet and insulation. I eventually had to replace the carpet and insulation. One common soure of water leaks in a C4 is around the windsheild. The C4 windsheild is very difficult to install correctly. If your windsheild has been replaced at some point that might be a possibility. On my car, I had the windsheild taken out and reinstalled. That helped but did not solve the problem completely. I continued to have water in the passenger footwell. Soaking the new carpet again!! I discovered a large crack in the sealant used to seal a body panel seam near the base of the windsheild on top of the cowl. A tube of black silicone sealant soloved two years of frustration with wet carpet. Steven West on 6/24/2010 6:38:30 PM
Water leak: there is a rubber drain nipple; hard to find but under the hood directly under the heater/AC box on the left facing the car. Squeeze that puppy, it has a cut slit in its bottom and typically gets plugged up easily from debris. Did this myself on my ?95 more than once. You?ll feel it hanging down; about 4 inches long ? feels like a cow thingie? Jon Anonymous on 6/24/2010 2:19:45 PM
The C4 1984-1996 Corvette has three cowl vent drains two somewhat visible on the driver side one hidden on the passenger side. The passenger side drain is below the A/C blower plenum accessed after removing the filler panel between the door and front wheel. If you?ve ever replaced a battery the same procedure is required to remove the passenger side panel. Three T-30 screws around the wheel well lip, one 10MM hex head screw top and bottom retain the panel. Once the panel is removed the rubber drain tube is visible next to the firewall. The drain is designed to prevent air from entering so you have to squeeze it at the bottom to dislodge any debris. Once the debris that?s plugging the drain tube falls out, run a water hose in the cowl area to flush out any remaining debris. The driver side center cowl drain is between the booster and wiper motor it looks similar to the passenger side drain only smaller diameter. The outside driver side drain is located about in the middle of the battery directly behind it. The drain tube is 10 inches long to direct water away from the battery tray. This drain tube can become misplaced and pinched easily preventing good flow. Be sure to put the tube back into a vertical position after servicing. One more drain to consider is the A/C plenum case drain located below the A/C evaporator. The drain is a 3/8 diameter hole in the inner portion of the plenum case you can see it between the frame rail and exhaust. These drains can get crusty causing condensation to back up into the cockpit. If you see coolant coming out of the A/C plenum case drain you have a heater core leak. Chris of Tech Corner Petris Enterprises Inc. 809 West Willow Street Scottsboro, AL 35768 256-259-2400 Shop Anonymous on 6/24/2010 2:17:34 PM
Mike: I would first try and find out where the water is coming in from. Usually under the front windshield or the side window. I am not sure about the '96 but some older vettes have a drain plug under the carpet on the floor board. Good luck Alan Alan Hess on 6/23/2010 10:10:56 AM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread