Return to ForumsReply to Thread
1976 hooker header side exhaust heat shields from mid america

I own a 1976 corvette and I installed a chrome headers and side exhaust system on the vette and I am looking for anybody that has bought the stainless steel exhaust shields from Mid America and wonder if they really do the job of deflecting the heat from the side exhaust.I would appreciate any feed back to this matter thanks.

Submitted by: Charles Rush

ReplyPosted By
Charles, The heat shields will help avoid burns but will not keep all the heat away from legs. I had the same setup on my 76 vette. Marty Alter Martin Alter on 6/9/2010 1:28:28 PM
I also have a 1976 Corvette [I've had it since 1978]. when I bought it in '78, the previous owner had installed the same hooker headers you have installed. The power and sound was grreat. I did not have the heat shields, but could have used them. Thus, I'm not much help here. However, I can tell you what to expect in the long-run. When the headers were about 4-years old, they began to burn-through where the 4-pipes meet at the collector, on both sides. I would plug the hole w/ a muffler high-heat repair putty. This worked [though unsightly] for about 4-years, until the holes became unmanageble. After 8-years of life, I discarded them and installed a dual exhaust system desgned ofr a '74 vette - no cat. converter. John Hoy on 6/9/2010 8:30:11 AM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread