Return to ForumsReply to Thread
C5 Winter driving temps

What kind of coolant temps are you seeing in the winter with your C5 and a stock thermostat? I seldom drive my C5 in the winter but drove it last eve in 30 degree weather. I noticed temps running about 198-200 on the highway at 60 mph. Didn't drive it more than 5 miles; then off of the highway, saw similar temps. Normal?? Does this seem about normal? I know in the summer when running on the highway with the air on for extended periods of time I generally see 196 to 199 so I am guessing what I am seeing in the winter is normal. Let it idle and the fans are coming on normally. Just had a new water pump put on and "burped" the system so I don't suspect anything there. For some reason I figured that in cooler weather I would see cooler temps but logic tells me that the engine is going to warm up anyway. . . Thanks,

Submitted by: Bob Williams

ReplyPosted By
Summer and winter, makes no difference on engine warm up temp. as long as the stat is functioning right and coolant levels are maintained. All is well with this c-5. Anonymous on 4/16/2010 2:36:50 PM
Bob I have a C5, like you I seldom drive the car in the Winter unless the roads are dry. At highway speeds the temp will be in the same area 195-200. This is normal for the car. The temp should not fluctuate due to the season since it is controlled with a thermostat. In the summer months it may go higher if you are in slow stop and go traffic due to lack of air flow. Gary Fell on 2/6/2010 6:08:39 PM
Bob, I have read in many places, that it is ideal for the coolant temperature to run above 210 degrees. This boils out what ever water / condensation that has accumulated in the oil. That's good for the oil and the engine, but it does reduce your performance somewhat. This is why so many people put in 160 or 190 degree thermostats. I have a 190 degree thermostat in my 2004 convertible. That's an acceptable compromise, in my opinion, between performance and keeping the oil clean. Some years ago, I was driving a C4 across the desert in July. The temperature hovered around 246 degrees when I slowed down (A/C running), but the car never overheated. And the car ran fine, albeit with a little less spunk. So I think you're fine. Joe Joseph Razumich on 2/5/2010 2:20:06 PM
I have a 2001 ragtop with 165000 miles. It was my daily driver in all types of weather until I retired. What you saw looks normal to me. The thermostat dictates engine temp and those higher temps increase fuel mileage. What you will notice in colder weather is more efficient coolant tempature drop while in the radiator. Marvin Faulkenburry on 2/5/2010 10:09:39 AM
I have a 2000 with a 160.In the winter the car will run a few degrees cooler.My fans come on at 175 and 185 and the car will run at about 180 in 30 degree weather.l don't think you drove the the car far enough to see a change in the temp.When you start a car the temp will go up few degrees past your your thermostat opening temp and then back down. Henry Callahan on 2/5/2010 9:24:12 AM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread