Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Really Bad Ground

I have a 69 427 tri-power. I just changed the accelerator cable and then had an extremely weak ignition circuit. I installed a new battery...was due anyway and still weak. I have juice to the alternator, horn relay, starter, and terminal relay on the firewall checked with a test light. Is there a ground wire attached to the gas pedal bracket/linkage I did not connect. Thanks for the help.

Submitted by: Raymond Robertson

ReplyPosted By
I would have to agree with Victor. It is an improper ground causing your problem. More than likely due to the lack of a good ground, your electrical system is trying to ground itself through the accelerator cable. Not good. This maybe why you had to replace the cable in the first place. If your accelerator cable is hot, it is because it is trying to carry the ground load for the engine and potentially melting the plastic on the accelerator cable. Go back and make sure you have a good ground from motor to chassis. Extra ground cables never hurt nobody. Todd Miller on 2/5/2010 9:14:00 AM
Why would you NOT put the braided wire back on ? These cars require many more grounds due to the type of construction, in fact it wouldn't hurt to install more as the original ones break, deteriorate and corrode, and cause problems as you are trying to chase down !! Use of a test light isn't a good determination of power / voltage, along with the test light use a digital meter to verify any drop in the voltage from what the battery has stored at the time of the testing ...use of the meter without the test lamp will give you some varying voltages, and the lamp will flow the transient voltages through the bulb to ground. Victor Bellan on 2/4/2010 6:46:55 PM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread