Return to ForumsReply to Thread
turn signals

I have a 2000 vette the turn signals work when they want to. I have checked with several people ( dealer included) , they all say the turn signal flasher switch is bad? So I purchased one, after checking it I found it is also the 4 way flasher button . Now, its above the radio it has theft det. on it. How do I get to the switch and keep the radio from malfunctioning. It looks like I will have to remove the console cover also. Does any know how to do this and can pass it on to me. THANKS GENE

Submitted by: Patricia Caudle

ReplyPosted By
Thanks to all who responded to Patricia's post, especially JAS346. As Dirty Harry said, "a man has got to know his limitations." I have a '99 coupe with the same turn signal problem and I've opted to take it to Austin Corvette, listed in the NCOA Member Directory. I called Gary, the owner, who acknoledged knowing about the problem and said it will cost 2 to 3 hrs of labor plus the cost of the part. All things considered, I'd rather have them do it right and pay for the peace of mind. I was going to attempt it but JAS346 really made me stop and think. Again, thanks for the group insight. Chuck McCormick Austin, TX. Texas National Guard Chuck McCormick on 2/4/2010 1:57:20 PM
I had the same problem on my 2001. The Hazard switch smack dab in the middle of the dash is the culprit. The previous responders procedure is correct. I had the service manuals and they steered me through the replacement. Be prepared to spend a few hours as there are many many screws and parts that have to be removed to get at the switch. The console has to be removed along with the dash cover and dash pad. I have no idea what the Dealer would charge but it cannot be cheap. Leslie Wise on 2/4/2010 9:28:24 AM
This is how we fixed my brother's 2000 C5 Coupe with same problem. Highly recommend it. Easy fix. http://www.corvette-enhancements.com/c5_flasher_fix.php Glenn Hellyer on 2/3/2010 8:02:16 PM
You don't remove the radio you remove the dash pad. Start by removing the waterfall (convertible only) then the center console, then the center panel (over the shifter and radio etc), then the driver's knee panel (below the steering wheel), then the A-pillar moldings, then the defroster grill (unscrew the two sensors and put them down the defroster holes to get them out of the way), then the glove box (including two 10mm bolts under two plastic tabs) and then finally the dashpad. You will have to disconnect the wiring to the switch after you raise the pad enough to get to it. You will have to unplug a number of connectors along the way and everything has little locking tabs so don't just pull them out. Completely remove the dash pad and place it on a smooth surface over a towel to prevent damage. You have to loosen the ducting and remove the center duct where the switch itself is located. Remove the switch by depressing the two tabs to extricate the bad swtch. Reverse the process to put everything back. I recommend getting the shop manual for better detail. It will take you a couple of hours or so but be patient. Don't forget to plug the wiring back into the switch before you screw the dash pad back in because there's no other way to get to it otheriwse and you'll just have to unscrew it again. Or you can just let the dealer do it ;-) JAS346 on 2/3/2010 5:56:08 PM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread