Return to ForumsReply to Thread
1973 Rear End Noise

I have a 1973 Stingray Coupe and the suspension parts were replaced about 300 miles ago. Lately, I've noticed a strange sensation coming from the rear end (not mine) when I turn from a dead start. If I turn left, the rear end feels as if I'm turning on gravel. It is more pronounced when I turn left, but I can also feel it when I make a right turn. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Submitted by: Carl Hinchey

ReplyPosted By
My 1976 was making a noise like that. The rear end needs to have a small bottle of Chevrolet Posi-Traction lubricant added. It cost about $3.00 at a swap meet, or about $12.00 from a dealer. It is better to drain the old grease and refill it with fresh, then add the lubricant. Anonymous on 4/16/2010 2:37:55 PM
I agree try new rear end grease, And dont forget to add postrack additive. This happened to my 75 also. good luck Bryan Edgar on 2/3/2010 5:28:58 PM
GM makes a posi trac additive. I'm not sure what is in that little 2 oz. bottle but it cured the same problem in my '78. Posted by Administrator on 2/3/2010 3:44:03 PM
It may be the bearing in the hub going out. I had this failure several times on my 71, mine usually started as just hearing an occasional 'klunk' from the right rear wheel. Posted by Administrator on 2/3/2010 3:43:25 PM
had that problem a few years ago. you need to drain all the rear end fluid and replace it with fresh fluid. also don't for get to put in a little bottle of friction modifer which you can get from GM Frank Ferreira on 2/3/2010 10:46:31 AM
Agree with first reply. Had same problem noise and chatter upon sharp turn either way. Gear oil change and Posi Additive from GM dealer solved issue. Mine is also a '73. RickyZ on 2/3/2010 10:02:26 AM
I agree with Ralph. You stated that the suspension parts were replaced. Was the diff. serviced or replaced ? If it wasn't, a gear oil change with the proper additive should help. Ron Ron Marino on 2/3/2010 8:45:37 AM
It sounds like the Posi clutches are chattering. If carrier was taken apart, perhaps the "Posi" additive was not put back to cure those issues. If it was, there is a break-in pattern that is to be accomplished in a mall parking lot or other open area, where you take so many turns to the right and so many to the left to exercise the Posi unit. Ralph Tileston on 2/2/2010 2:55:29 PM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread