Return to ForumsReply to Thread
1977 Door Latch Problem

I replaced the driver side door latch due to problems unlocking the door. Even after replacing the lock I am still not able to unlock the door from inside or outside. The only way I can open the door is to lower the window and trip the lock with a long screwdriver. Anyone have an idea on how to fix the problem? Thank you for your help.

Submitted by: Danny Martin

ReplyPosted By
I've had the same problem on my '77. If all the linkage is adjusted correctly, all you need to do is clean the latch/lock mechanism and relubricate it. Look at the mechanism when the interior trim is removed. There is a spring that (for lack of a better term) flips back and forth when locked or unlocked. It usually collects dirt and the factory grease turns hard keeping the spring from moving. I sprayed it with carb cleaner which removed the dirt and old, hardened grease. I relubed the mechanism and everything works. It actually feels better than when the car was new. Jerry Rebman on 4/15/2010 8:54:31 PM
Thankx everyone! Danny Martin on 1/27/2010 3:40:45 PM
Inside the door is a somewhat primitive lock/latch system that uses adjustable rods to actuate the door latch. Replacing the lock itself has no effect on the internal parts because it only connects to an actuating rod. You need to remove the trim panel and, ideally, the sheet metal plate that covers the lock mechanism and is meant to defeat "jimmy" devices (it doesn't). As you turn the key in the lock you will be able to see how the rod moves the mechanism and how the other rods interact. It will be obvious that the total travel of the rod isn't enough to move the latching linkage far enough to lock/unlock the assembly, so you will have to disconnect the rod and adjust its length (it's threaded) until everything works. The reason the locks stop functioning is that over time these old locking systems accumulated wear in their pivot points as well as bent rods resulting from lack of lubrication that caused increased loads. Posted by Administrator on 12/4/2009 1:15:16 PM
I have a 1976 that the passenger side lock would not open from the inside. I took the inside door panel off and lubed all of the linkage with white grease and now it works great. Jeffrey Grow on 11/9/2009 2:57:29 PM
I replaced both door handles on my 77 about 3 years ago because the chrome finish had deteriorated. I had the same problem as you are having. Your problem was probably not in the door handle, but in the adjustment of the connecting rod that has the threaded connector that can be moved up or down. If that is not adjusted just right the door will not unlock. Its a real pain to do because its a hard place to get at and its kind of a trial and error thing to get it adjusted right. I hope this helps. Its kind of hard to explain in writing, but I'm sure your problem is in the adjustment of that threaded rod as mine was when I replaced my door handles. If that can't be adjusted to make door unlock then check to see if the holes where the connecting rods attach are so rounded out that their is no adjustment left. Good luck. Rush Lind on 11/8/2009 6:32:17 AM
About 3 years ago, I replaced both handles on my 1976 Stingray. I experienced the same problem with the passenger's side lock, except I could not operate it from the outside. I took it to a freind, who is a BMW mechanic. Apparently, the wear on the system requires some adjustment. check for all of the clips and joints. One clip had fallen off of a joint and dropped into the lower part of the door. We adjusted and lubricated the linkage from inside the door panel and it has worked well since. Hope this has helped. KRL Ken R Lee on 11/6/2009 12:00:25 PM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread