Return to ForumsReply to Thread
79 Vette--headlight pop-up question

The headlights on my car open and operate with no problem by using the headlight switch. However, when I shut off the engine, several minutes later, the left headlight raises on its own. This occurs even during daytime when I never used the lights. When I turn the engine on again, the headlight closes--again no switch activation. Any thoughts on the source of the problem or where to begin? Vacuum hoses, actuator, etc? Any input appreciated. Mike

Submitted by: Mike Maliszewski

ReplyPosted By
This was a common problem with the C3 vacuum headlights. It's actually vacuum that holds the headlight doors closed, so when there's a vacuum leak one or both doors will gently start to open up. When both doors simultaneously do so you can aim for a vacuum canister as the probable cause. When one door opens it's almost always a leak in the line to the plenum actuator, usually at the connection. If the lines are in excellent condition there you should test the diaphragm in the actuator by attaching a spare vacuum line to it and sucking on it to see if it's leaking internally. Posted by Administrator on 12/4/2009 1:16:07 PM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread