Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Turning off the passenger air bag

Does anyone know of a way to shut off the passenger air bag on a 1999 corvette convertable? If so is there a kit to be purchased and installed. I talked to the dealer and they would not do it or tell me how.

Submitted by: Nathan Schley

ReplyPosted By
The route I chose, and haven't regretted for a minute since the safe installation of the GM retrofit kit really needs a trained pro's hand as you recommended in your column, was to go thru the procedure laid out by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. This includes a simple form for requesting authorization to install along with a list of authorized installers provided by the NHTSA. It's all-available online at www.nhtsa.gov/cars/testing/NCAP_m/airbags. In the end one has a certified installation, and very importantly the documentation on the modified airbag system to follow the car. I received the authorization in a couple weeks, contacted an installer, parted with $450 which included the GM part, and my grandson and I have enjoyed the car together ever since. Minnesota grandpa Posted by Administrator on 12/4/2009 1:08:46 PM
There is an "off switch" located inside the glove compartment. Richard Burnett on 9/29/2009 5:02:35 PM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread