Return to ForumsReply to Thread
'74 rear window leaks

I have taken my rear window out of my 1974 coupe. I have the window, the new sealant, and the interior trim. Is there something else to hold the window in place besides just the trim? The trim does not seem push the window very tightly against the seal. Am I missing some parts? Thank you. Carter

Submitted by: Carter Hubbard

ReplyPosted By
Carter: The trim is not used to hold the rear glass in place. The glass is installed using butyl rubber adhesive. Most replacement glass sealer is just that - sealer - not adhesive. I have several older Corvettes and have run into this problem before. Your local glass installer has butyl rubber adhesive as well as butyl rubber sealer. I'd bet they gave you sealer which will not hold the glass in place. The only other items you'll need are little rubber spacers that are installed along the bottom of the glass to center it in the opening. The GM service manuals for the older model years have the rear glass installation procedure described in the body section. The Corvette body is the only body described in the manuals since it's the only Chevrolet body made by GM. The other bodies are made by Fisher and are covered in the Fisher Body Service manuals. Good luck! Jerry Jerry Rebman on 4/15/2010 8:40:33 PM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread