Return to ForumsReply to Thread
'95 ECM problems

My '95 Corvette simply stopped working when using the key to start the engine. The Security light comes on, the battery is charged, the lights/windows all work...but the engine does not turn over. It has been in the shop (Bruce Chevrolet, Hillsboro, OR) for nine days. They can't find the problem. Suggestions welcomed!! Thanks...

Submitted by: Mike Steele

ReplyPosted By
Oh no not the dreaded security system failure. This can get to be exceedingly complicated if you want the system restored. Begin by using another key (with proper resistor for the car) if that works buy a new key. But that is often not the answer so it then requires digging into various connectors and the module. But for us we usually order a bypass kit and do away with the system entirely. There are huge numbers of them available on eBay and from various Corvette supply houses. They often simply involve soldering the proper resistor into the control module. The resistor will match the resistor in your key. Some will have an easier way with a plug and play resistor that doesn?t require soldering. These kits bypass all the connectors that corrode and alter the resistance value from the key to the module. Posted by Administrator on 3/27/2015 3:16:36 PM
We had a similar problem with frame off resto on my 69, the problem is/or may be the adjustment on your ignition switch located way down on the steering column. This works in conjunction with making sure the vehicle is in park or neutral and can be adjusted. I think yours may have failed . Good luck. JR Thomas, Middle River MD J Russell Thomas on 7/2/2014 6:22:50 PM
Accidently ended posting before done....Find a different shop to have work done using the possible causes given by Corvette Owner posts at this forum to narrow down the source of problem. My bet is that one or more of these are right - better than your shop is doing!! I recently posted my experiences with dealer RE: clutch master cylinder/slave cylinder problem which was fixed within 24 hours after my complaint to Corporate Chevrolet Headquarters. The shop left it set in a back bay for 7 days all the while lying about reason for delay due to waiting for part (master cylinder for clutch) which was readily available from Chicago AND Cincinnati to deliver next business day. Dan McCrea on 7/2/2014 11:19:22 AM
Nine days at actual Chevrolet Dealership shop and they can't find the problem??? Find a DIFFERENT Dan McCrea on 7/2/2014 11:08:52 AM
I had the same issue with my '96; like Ken, it was the fuel pump. Good luck. James Stalnaker on 7/1/2014 5:05:38 PM
I had the same issue with my 1999 1500 express Chevy Van Every time I try to start it the security like would light up and and it would not start.I took it to the Chevrolet dealer while it was there it would start. I would drive it back home it wouldn't. Finally they had to replace the ECM. when they showed me the old one the aluminum case was completly ate out on bottom.The mileage on the Van was 450,000 miles. The van is still running now. Leon Johnson on 7/1/2014 3:49:21 PM
I would suggest the key chip as well by using the spare if you have one. Depending on the useage the key can wear and the chip not function properly which leads the computer to think its being stolen which shuts off the fuel pump and ignition engagement. Another thing can be the Optispark ignition which can get wet/condensation in it from the waterpump leaking or from regular driving in rain. If this goes it needs to be replaced and at the same time do the water pump and engine front cover gasket and seals whilst you have it apart. Hope this helps. Pilotman on 7/1/2014 2:13:02 PM
Well he didn't indicate if it's a manual??pos neutral safety switch, clutch switch??.check for terminal voltage at the solenoid, or just jump the solenoid, if it cranks, then you may have an issue with the ECM or the PCM. I would also get a Midtronics battery tester and see what your capacity is on the battery. I would also hook up a scan tool to see what kind of codes are in there?..I believe it's telling the control module that there is an open circuit due to an ignition concern. Posted by Administrator on 7/1/2014 11:30:01 AM
Same thing with my 1995 and the problem was the key security computer chip on the key.Change keys and see if that cures your problem,it cured mine. Ralph King on 7/1/2014 10:24:39 AM
My '95 just recently did the same . It was the fuel pump . Ken Ken Lozen on 7/1/2014 7:49:33 AM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread